internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Acipa Media Inc." <Info AT AcipaMedia.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:54:24 -0800

When the average Joe comes upon a fight or a spat they typically view both
parties
as flawed individuals. If you attack publicly and these little people are
bold enough
to counter charge the character of both parties will come into question. I
know this
goes against the natural tendencies to get back at the scum who stole.

If your goal is to become to become electronic Zoro then an attempt at
public humiliation
is in order. But if your goal is to simply remove this threat to your
business I would
advocate a quick call to my attorney prompting him or her to get in touch
with the
thieves. And let it quietly go away.

Steve

At 11:05 AM 2/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
> I tend to agree with Shea on this one. You need to make an example of
>folks like this for the protection of everyone. Burn, pillage, leave no
>stone standing upon stone. Put the hurtin' on 'em, or they'll just keep
>on doing it.
>
> That kind of behavior is in the same category as spam. Trying to get
>something for nothing using the shared resources of the Internet. But
>unlike spammers, who are elusive to the Nth degree, these folks are
>sitting targets. Pound them to dust.
>
>TaB
>
>Shea Tisdale wrote:
>>
>> I disagree. If you let them get away with stealing your content or design
>> without it costing them and being a public embarrassment then they will
just
>> do it again.
>>
>> I think you need to pursue it legally and in the media. It's a validation
>> of you, your company and your content.
>>
>> Yes, it costs money - but if you win they should be liable for all of those
>> costs as well as for damages.
>>
>> Also, failing to defend yourself can result in a total loss of rights. If
>> you don't pursue them legally for stealing your logo, your image, your
>> content, etc you can lose it - it can become public domain.
>>
>> -------------------------
>> Shea Tisdale
>> President
>> NetworkArts, Incorporated
>> 353 West Main Street
>> Durham, NC 27701
>> Phone: (919) 530-1122
>> TollFree: (800) 530-9577
>> FAX: (919) 530-1133
>> Mobile: (919) 225-4633
>>
>> > From: "Acipa Media Inc." <Info AT AcipaMedia.com>
>> > Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 06:56:27 -0800
>> > To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>> > Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Knockoff Site

>> > hardly even changed
>> > in what can be
>> > thoughts of

>> > That's a hard question. A very public challenge will only make you both
>> > look bad. The
>> > lag time and cost of suing is not attractive either. If the person
doesn't
>> > cease and
>> > desist upon your notification you have a long road to go. We were
lucky in
>> > that we
>> > appealed to the guy who ripped us off sense of decency.
>> >
>> > Steve
>> >

>> > ---
>> > You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: shea AT networkarts.com
>> > $subst('Email.Unsub')
>> >

>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

>---
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: info AT AcipaMedia.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')