internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:20:33 -0500

Did you copyright the designs? This may be a wakeup call to those
people doing design that they should be more concerned with the legal
issues within their businesses. (I am as disgusted with the U.S. lawyer
system as anyone, but sometimes you just got to deal with them.)

Our medium does make it quite easy to steal designs and content.
Finding out that people steal your work may be a problem. How did y'all
figure out that someone was using your content? I could see where a
small firm could steal all their "original" designs and get away with it
for a long time if not forever if they are not just stupid about
flaunting it.

If these people are using this content to sell to their clients, you
may want to contact the clients to tell them to desist in using
copyrighted material. Contacting their clients will put the fear of
yahoo in them. Is it the design firm or the client firm purchasing the
design that is responsible for copyright issues?

Thanks, Roger