internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:44:21 -0500 (EST)

for what it's worth, you need not register your designs, text, or other
intellectual property in order to claim copyright (since 1976 or so). in
fact you need not even include a copyright claim on the item or even the
little circled C. you do need some way to show that you did the work and
did it first; registering is one way to show that.

i would take this tact:
1) contact the prinicipals of the companies involved and demand that they
remove your copyright material in the form of a registered letter written
by a mean lawyer (such as tom beckett ;->)
2) inform the press, both locally and at the home of the offender, if
those offenders do not comply within whatever period you specify in the
letter. see if the offender complies, if not go to next step.
3) write the clients of the offender advising them of the appropriation of
your work on their behalf and inform them that you intend to seek strong
remedies. see if the offender complies, if not go to next step.
4) file to pursue strong remedies. see if the offender complies, if not go
to next step.
5) seek strong remedies.

Paul Jones
"We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
pjones AT MetaLab.unc.edu voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071