internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:38:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Austin, Roger wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea if this type of design rip off is widespread?

Yep. It's extremely common. Folks like Jeff Zeldman and Lance Arthur are
always getting ripped off, but I've started seeing more and more small-time
goofball Web designers rip off corporate sites as well. It's so widespread
that it's difficult to find a good list of all the ripoffs. I know Derek
Powazek was going to launch a site that would shame them into submission,
but I don't think he ever did. Cam Barrett was keeping track of them, too,
for a while, but it's really so common (and so irritating, as Joe no doubt
knows by now) that he gave up in disgust.

Steve