homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:26:36 -0800

http://www.humboldt.edu/~ccat/pedalpower/inventions/washer_text.htm

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I don't know why this is so hard a nut to crack unless it is, as I've
opined, a horror of embracing what the reality means.

Picture, if you will, a washing machine whose electric motor has been
replaced by a gearbox and a hand crank (or treadle or capstan or
whatever). You
have to turn the hand crank continuously to operate the agitator, pump,
and
to spin the tub. You can probably imagine that this is a lot of work.
No,
it doesn't help to gear the crank. If you can turn it with half the
force,
you must turn it with twice the speed (no free lunch again). You would
get
a very hard workout washing one load of clothes with this arrangement.

Now, what if we left the washer intact, still powered by its electric
motor, and instead we connected the hand crank to a generator and the
output of
that generator powered the washing machine. From the comments on
alternative
energy, it seems as if most people visualize a small crank like on a
coffee
grinder or sausage grinder and that they would turn it with one hand,
pinkie extended, while holding the teacup in the other hand.

But the reality of the physics involved is that it would be much harder ..
much more work ... to crank a generator to power the washing machine than
it
would to just crank the washing machine directly.

If this fact were kept in mind, a lot of the misconception about alternate
energy could be eliminated. You can do any work - mechanical, heating,
lighting - directly much more efficiently than you do it by converting
that
energy into electricity and then consuming the electricity. A gallon of
kerosene will produce many, many times the light that running a (diesel)
generator
on that gallon of kerosene and then using even the most efficient electric
lights possible.

James</HTML>