homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:14:23 EST

> >However, if I could access anything - ie, if whatever power crisis that
> took out my power did not also take out the Internet - then I would
> ***happily*** pedal to power my Wild Blue dish and my laptop!

You could easily pedal power your laptop and Wild Blue. Together they
consume a trifle of electricity. It's the water heaters, heat pumps,
electric
ranges, electric clothes dryers, air conditioners, that use garganuan amount
of electricity. Anything that operates off batteries, like the laptop, you
can generate that easily with solar, wind, mechanical power, and probably
dewfall.

But taking Gene's example of the grist mill, if he hand cranked a
generator to power his 2hp motor, he'd work at least twice as hard to grind
the
grain than grinding it directly with manual power. I personally don't like
put motors on things, but that aside, when it comes to direct mechanical
power or generating eletricity with mechanical power and using that to do the
original work, the former is a winner every time.

James</HTML>