homestead - [Homestead] New bread making method

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] New bread making method
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:49:25 -0600

On Feb 23, 2010, at 7:27 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> I use . . . sourdough bread rather
> than a bread machine, etc.

I have never used a bread machine or any other machine to make my bread and
pizza skins. But I do now use the refrigerator, which would be my last
machine to give up, I think.

I am so happy with the new way I am making bread dough that I cannot resist
offering it for edification and, it goes without saying in this venue,
critique.

I have used at least five times now the system that was featured in Mother
Earth News recently. For those who do not get the mag, here is the article
online:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

My experience is that a half-cup less water works better. Even then, the
dough is still wet when you take it from the fridge, so have a lot of flour
on the surface where you shape it.

Gene