homestead - Re: [Homestead] New bread making method

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New bread making method
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:48:28 -0600

Gloria A. Morris
Attorney at Law
25685 North County Road 2570 East
Manito, Illinois 61546
309-202-6987
gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com

On 2/23/2010 7:49 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:

I have never used a bread machine or any other machine to make my bread and
pizza skins.

Me either. I bake bread very often, generally a few times per week. And, I make my own pizza dough. Kneading by hand is not difficult. I suppose if I was severely disabled that I would want a bread machine. But absent a disability which robbed me of the use of my arms and hands, I find that a few minutes of kneading bread is a pleasant task, and I cannot see the point of a bread machine.

But I do now use the refrigerator, which would be my last machine to give up,
I think.
I do very much love having a refrigerator. And when the grid fails from time to time, it is the fridge which I miss, particularly in warm weather! Were I to ultimately decide to set up a small, more affordable alternative energy system, it would be for a very few things: the fridge, a well pump, the satellite Internet dish, and two laptops. I could do without the rest.

My bread recipe is very simple. I actually use it for several different types of bread, just varying the baking method and the way I shape the bread. I take 1 Tbsp yeast, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1-1/4 cup warm milk, about 2-1/2 to 3 cups unbleached flour (or whole wheat, or sometimes a blend of the two). I proof the yeast with sugar and warm milk, then add in flour, stirring until it makes a ball in the bowl. This is kneaded with plenty of flour until smooth. Then it is allowed to rise, punched down, and kneaded again. Then it becomes a deep dish pizza crust. Or, it becomes dinner rolls. Or, it becomes a cottage loaf. Or, it becomes a crusty continental loaf by placing it in a cold oven with a pan of water and setting the oven (mine is gas, not wood fired, so this method works for me) to 450 F.

Making bread is a pleasant task, and one that too many people assign to others, or to a machine that makes a peculiar loaf. I would not willingly give up the pleasure of making my own bread, absent a horrific disability. It is such a joy to knead it, to feel the living dough become elastic in your hands. And I love the smell of the yeast, of the dough, and then of the baking. I love the LOOK of a homemade loaf. And the taste! Few things can compare to eating it fresh out of the oven with a bit of butter and honey, or maybe some homemade jam. Making bread is a feast for the senses!

Gloria