homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:41:32 -0600

On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> I've used a manual powered wringer before and believe me if you are washing
> jeans, you are going to break into a sweat wringing them even with pedal
> power.

I am comforted to find that James has accepted, if not embraced, the
relevance of at least partial machine-powered homesteading.

Our grain mill has a big power wheel that is connected via belt to an old
dryer motor. It has a threaded hole in the side of that big wheel where I can
screw in a handle. One time, repeat, one time, I checked out what that would
cost me in case the electricity was down and I just could not live without a
fresh-ground pizza skin. Well, I can straight-forward say that I now know I
can do it, but it will not happen again unless I cannot figure out another
menu that will make me happy.

Gene