homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:32:23 -0800

As for gearing up or down, consider a simple example. Consider a lever 3 feet long with the fulcrum at the one foot point. This gives a 2:1 ratio. My 250# on the long end would be able to balance 500# on the short end. To gear it up, swap ends. Now my 250# would be balanced by 125#. Simple mechanics.

Gearing works the same way. Ignoring friction (you can't but it makes explanations easier) a gear of 4 inches diameter and a gear ot 2 inches is the same 2:1 ratio. Spinning the smaller gear at 100 revolutions spins the larger gear 50 revolutions. Spin the larger 100 and the smaller goes 200. Simple mechanics.

If you put a 100# resistance on the smaller gear and spin it with the larger gear, the larger gear will see a 200# resistance, place a 100# resistance on the larger gear and the smaller gear sees a 50# resistance.
We live is a technologically complex world but many do not understand simple mechanics.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU