homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:36:56 -0500

> I've not SEEN my garden in ages. It is covered in snow. I cannot imagine
> planting anything in mid-March this year unless the weather changes
> very, very soon.

Mine's been under snow or frozen solid for such a long time, too.
After a few mild days and with the snow gone, I was actually able to
get out and work my asparagus bed over. I did today what would have
been better to do in the fall. Mowed off the old growth, put down a
layer of compost and pulled some soil up over all. Cleaned up my bid
of apple's grafted last year, I'm going to just let them grow another
year and then set them out next fall or spring.

It's amazing how well some parts of the garden are drying up. Rain
tomorrow, snow later in the week and then some cooler weather, but
this was a nice break.

Rob - Va