homestead - Re: [Homestead] cattle farming was ???

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] cattle farming was ???
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:24:20 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 3/2/09, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> I also have a small greenhouse (12x12') that is set up
> for aquaponics. I
> plan to start some pak choi and chinese cabbage in there
> next weekend. They
> grow very well in an aquaponic system.

****** The aquaponic tomatoes, I have bought, have no flavor, they taste
just like all of the other market tomatoes. That is the only aquaponic
produce I have ever purchased.

> The animals take intense spurts of attention, followed by
> days or weeks of
> needing nothing from me..in the summer, I don't even
> see them for days on
> end, if they are up in the woods. I have to go find them,
> just to make sure
> they are still there. Now that I have my new fence (about
> 35 acres fenced in
> 5-strand high tensile), I don't worry about them
> getting out. Not having to
> chase escaped animals has made my life so much easier.

****** I have visualized your family incorrectly, I guess. I think of a
fenced in cattle pasture as being open, cleared, land, rather than 'woods'.
You probably have better privacy than I imagine, and probably are more rural;
I keep thinking you are more like on the edge of a small town, rather than in
the rural woods.