homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:26:52 -0500

What would be a normal weight and what breed of calf?

It's mostly hereford. It's grandmother is a big cow; her babies are probably 60-80 pounds. The mother is smaller. The grandmother and mother are both black and white; the baby is red (could be Jersey or red hereford) and white, but has a white face like a hereford. My bulls are 2 Jerseys and a big black mixed breed, so who knows who the father is. He certainly ACTS like he has Jersey in him...they have a distinct personality....escaping from the pen at 2 days old is a Jersey move.

I could only tell that it was alive because it's leg was
twitching. We brought it in and put it in the bathtub with very warm water
and rubbed it for about an hour.

Would love to see that one on video. It would be worth an hour of
download time!

No videos, no pictures. Having a farm animal in the house is so common here that the kids didn't even comment. I've had so many lambs in diapers running around the house that the dogs don't even notice them. It's my excuse for the place being so messy..."Does Martha Stewart have lambs in her sink?" or a cow in the bathtub? No wonder I can't keep this place clean!

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA