homestead - Re: [Homestead] cattle farming was ???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] cattle farming was ???
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:48:31 -0500

****** The aquaponic tomatoes, I have bought, have no flavor, they taste just like all of the other market tomatoes. That is the only aquaponic produce I have ever purchased.

I don't like aquaponic tomatoes, either, but it's probably the variety rather than the fact that they were grown aquaponically. A lot of the varieties of produce developed for greenhouses aren't very tasty.

****** I have visualized your family incorrectly, I guess. I think of a fenced in cattle pasture as being open, cleared, land, rather than 'woods'. You probably have better privacy than I imagine, and probably are more rural; I keep thinking you are more like on the edge of a small town, rather than in the rural woods.

I'm two miles out of a small town, but the 'rural woods' starts right at the edge of town. About 10 acres of my pasture is open, and 25 acres are wooded with clearings. Even with all the farms, with hayfields, cropland and pastures, this county is still mostly wooded; more than half the county is a state forest. Pine Creek Gorge (The "Pennsylvania Grand Canyon") is only a few miles from my farm. http://www.visittiogapa.com/

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA