homestead - Re: [Homestead] british survival post apocalypse

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] british survival post apocalypse
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:53:36 EST

> >By the way, I read y'alls comments about survivalists...it was enough to
> make me want to unsub since I came to this list as a survivalist. You
> guys aren't very tolerant of us survivor types and you forget that
> people can change.

Very Obamist of you, Bev, the change stuff.

I think the stauch homesteaders are quite tolerant of suvivalists just not
suvivalism. If a survivalist or escapist comes to the list to see what
homesteading may be all about, that's a very good thing. But to come to a
homesteading list as an escapist and then assert that one's escapism is the
same thing
as homesteading, or superior to it, is being a troll.

Survivalism/escapism is not only not the same thing as homesteading, it is
the polar opposite. Survivalism is looking for a general cataclysm (as
escapism
is looking for a personal one) before it goes into effect then its is to
survive to the other end of that cataclysm until times are "normal" again and
life
can resume more or less unabated. Homesteading is waiting for nothing. It
is a lifestyle that works during "good" times, bad times, and cataclysms.
Homesteaders are not waiting for the end of anything. If times change, we
continue homesteading as always.

Saturday Night Live had a recurring skit (with Phil Hartman), the Gay
Communist Gun Club, where to be a member you had to be gay and communist and
a gun
enthuiast. For example, in a forum with two memebers (Hartman and Woody
Harrelson) someone in the audience says"

"I have a two part question. Do you find your gay relationship changes if it
becomes long term and do you prefer the sights of the Winchester shotgun or
the Mossburg?"

"Well, Geroge and I here have been together for more than twenty years and
I'd say that, certainly things have changed over that time, (blah, blah, for
several minutes), ... but, ha, that's just my point of view, perhaps we
should
let George speak for himself. George?"

"Oh, I prefer the Mossburg."

---------------------

I've lurked on many, many a homesteading, farming, gardening, frugality and
preparedess site. People attach homesteading as being kindred spirit or even
part and parcel to a great many things ranging from white supremacy to
polyamory. In the name of tolerance are we to here on this homestead list to
consider
discussion of polyamory and white supremacy to be the same thing as
homesteading, to be given equal consideration and exemption from? Then
suvivalism and
escapism fall into that same category.

Bev, I'm glad that an interest in survivalism led you to look into
homesteading. But you did not, did you, come to the list insisting that
survivalism was
the same thing as homesteading ... or worse, play the troll by telling
homesteaders that they had no room to comment on your suvivalist tendancies
because
they were disingenuous fakers themselves?

James