homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:38:13 -0500

bobf wrote:

--- On Wed, 12/31/08, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

Dead wrong. That's a city mindset. To a homesteader, one's land is the most important financial investment of their lifetime. There is
no exit strategy. One lives there until one dies. Heartwood is
held as a family trust. It will never be sold in our lifetime.

Our exit strategy is a hose from an exhaust pipe.

*********Then your land would be an 'asset' and a habitat, not an "investment". I am often wrong , but not this time

Bob, I consider my land an investment. I am investing in the future of
my family. I have no intention of selling the land-ever. I am
developing the land in a permaculture mindset so that it might provide
for future generations of my family. I culture the soil, plant trees,
guard the watershed, etc. so that it will sustain future generations.
An asset once again implies monetary value, a value assigned by a third
party-a bank a realtor a financial guru, someone who would never see or
understand the richness of the garden soil. It is more than a habitat
because we interact with it and nurture it. A house would be kind of a
habitat-a shelter, one's land is not, IMO, but land can provide shelter,
the raw materials can be used to build a habitat. Underground
resources like water are not part of a habitat, and while the
homesteader would consider it an asset, it is very different value-non
monetary- than what someone else would assign it(monetary). It is an
asset to the homesteader because it is life sustaining, for humans,
animals, and plants. You can't put a price on that.

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."