homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:48:39 -0800

At 12/24/2008 09:31 AM, bobf wrote:
Bev, I didn't start this thread; I responded to Leslie, with my opinion, which is just that, and could be right or wrong.

The example with Jews and gold that I gave is not analagous to a St. Christopher medal. It is that an ounce of gold will provide safe journey for them home from anywhere in the world. I have had a lot of Jewish friends over the years, gold is looked at differently, at least among those I have known.

The Jews have an old culture, there have been a lot of hard times and they learned. Gold has value.

Right now gold may not have any 'real' value to you (this "you" is anyone out there on the homestead list who sees this), right now. "Right now" could change.

Gold through history has had value, things like that do not last over time for no reason. If your "right now" were to change and you had to leave gold would be an easy way to take your wealth with you. If you had to leave "right now" and your wealth was the land, your animals, the canned food in the cellar you'd leave it all behind and would be on the road as another poor person. Yes, I know there is no reason you'd ever have to leave, that's not going to happen to you.
When I was born my grandfather tried to find a $5 gold piece for me, he couldn't find one so he put five silver dollars in a framed case. I was told this was so I'd never be broke, during the earthquake in San Fran he needed gold or silver to get a ride out of town, paper dollars didn't work.
Today, right now, paper dollars are being given away by the government to the bank, insurance industry and other wealthy to cover their gambling debts. These dollars are being borrowed from the Chinese.

Way way back when, gold & silver had value in China at the same time it had value in Europe. In San Francisco in 1906 gold & silver had value. To you, today, gold and silver may not have any value but man's history has shown it to have it's uses over thousands of years.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA