homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:07:46 -0500

I was not talking at all about functionality and purpose toward which a
particular object might be put.

If I was allergic to potatoes, for instance, your potato would be worthless
to me, and I would percieve it to have no value to me at all, except in the
abstract sense that I could feed it to something else, and eat that.

However, that aside, my food storage has value to me, because I percieve it
to be so. I could die tomorrow, which would make the foods value decidedly
less to me. <g>

My gun has value to me, because it can provide something... security, food,
etc. It may have less value to another... say, someone trying to harm one of
my children. Never, however, do I equate value with importance. The gun
becomes very important to said culprit, but not necessarily valued.

At any rate, we are debating semantics. I believe you understood my point,
and I do get yours.

Of course, then there is the philosophy that NOTHING has value, at all. It is
what we do that creates value.

Ray