homestead - Re: [Homestead] Knives, was More on Gold

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Knives, was More on Gold
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:59:16 -0500

Leslie wrote:
Merry Xmas to all also !

A wholesale price of $7 US apiece (on average) for hunting knives varying in length from 8" - 13" including scabbords & small shapening
stones, regardless of where the stainless came from seems like a really good deal. Then there are the shorter straight blades, more of a multi-purpose stainless steel knife ($3 - $5 wholesale).

It kinda sounds like inferior quality stuff. You get what you pay for
when it comes to knives.

The masses can not afford the most expensive knives... but they still
need knives.

Well, what they need, really need, is a tool that will do the job.
Nothing fancy, but a good tool. They don't need the bells and whistles,
no fancy handles, but because they would be rather unskilled to begin
with, they at least need a quality tool. The 'masses' cannot afford to
hire anything to be done by others, nor can they afford injuring
themselves.

There are a lot of people who think differently about bying quality. Some will look for quality and buy something of the best quality that
will last a lifetime. So say for example they spend $200 on a
single knife. Others will take the same $200, and buy 30-40 cheap
knives, sell off half of them for $200, get their original money
back, and keep the balance, using the spares as replacements for when
the cheaper ones break, get lost, etc.

People buy the best quality that they can afford,,,,, key word being afford.

Right, but if you are actually using the cheaper knives, then you will
definitely go through 30-40 of the inferior knives in whatever real task
you are trying to perform, OR, you will injury yourself somewhere along
the way and end up spending far more. I understand that you never can
convince people to buy quality-that's a lesson that most folks learn the
hard way-but I just had to make that point.

From the point of view of personal use, I would prefer super quality - and if I can't afford, then lots of back-up replacements.
LOL.

For guns, I think I would think differently though, as I would guess there are probably personal safety issues involved.

A gun is a tool. A knife is a tool. A chainsaw is a tool.
All have personal safety issues. Even if you are going to resell them
and not use them yourself, think about the injury someone else might
acquire.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)

  • Re: [Homestead] Knives, was More on Gold, EarthNSky, 12/25/2008