homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:07:44 -0500

bobf wrote:
Bev; knowing what you know today; if you felt comfortable "pressure"
canning the meat in jars, like we used to do vegetables; would you
feel safe storing the canned jrs of meat in an un-air conditioned
storehouse/smokehouse/pantry?

Without AC, I would think the jars, assuming they were properly pressure canned, could not be stored for long, unless they were below ground or in a spring house where temperatures are cooler. I think the heat of summer here would be detrimental to any canned meat. Meat canning season would generally be in the Fall to Winter, I would think, so it would probably be fine for 6 months or so until summer, but I don't know that I would trust it beyond that. That would be a personal decision someone would have to make. If I were in a survival situation, yeah, I'd eat it and take the risk. Shoot, I threw a couple of jars of pickles in a hole out behind the house a few years ago. The pickles had gone mushy and the lids were rusted on. We used the jars for target practice that year. I rarely go over there, but did a few weeks ago, and lo and behold, there is still a jar of pickles in that hole that appears untouched. I'll leave it for some future paleontologist to try to figure out why I would put a jar in a stump hole, but in a survival situation, I'd be eating those pickles. Knowwhatimean?

Bev

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men