homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:25:37 -0600

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:12 AM, roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
wrote:
> I found out this year, this cold spell, that there is indeed a huge
> difference between good wood and last resort wood. Right now, all of our
> wood is rotten, old, and damp, and it is very difficult getting enough heat
> from the burner with that old wood. Chalk this experience up to a learning
> homesteading type of lesson, one I do not want to repeat.> >

One year a neighbor gave us a bunch of willow (they were all large
trees) that we burned in the boiler. I don't know which burns cooler,
willow or elm. I got warm, though -- loading the wood in and digging
the humongous ash residue out. Fortunately we had both hedge and hard
wood for the cold weather.

I told my neighbor to pile up the rest of his willow and have a wienie roast.

Marie