homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:30:50 +0000

We usually have a spell of a few days that go that cold in winter here. Last
winter we only had one overnight low of 0*, but it has gone lower before.
This morning was the coldest yet this winter.

Report from hubbie is that the tank is full (1500 gallons), but the overflow
was iced over and perhaps it lost its siphon. We should have been running the
water more, but I was afraid the tank would drain out... should have hiked up
there to check on it to determine how much we could run...another good
homesteading lesson that I won't miss again. The hike to our tank is hard.
The tank is about 300' above the house and the incline is close to 45 degree,
rocky and full of waist deep ruts where the water cuts through when the
floods earlier this year came down hill. It's an old logging trail and we
need a bigger bulldozer than ours to dress it and cut drainage ditches on the
sides.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)