homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:42:04 -0500

Yeah, all woods are not created equal. Age is important, Wetness is
important, size of the split, species of tree, all very important on how
many BTUs you get. Also, like you said this morning, for me anyway,
when the temps get under 15 or so, it is really hard to keep up with
wood chores, bringing wood inside and keeping the fire going hot.
I don't know how everyone else does it, but I close off all doors off
the main room(LR/Kit) and get that area warm (14x25?), then I start
opening bedroom/bathroom doors to moderate the heat. If temps drop off,
I close last door opened and add more wood to the stove.
On days like today, I try to use the dry, old, mostly rotten stuff to
get the fire going, then add the oak and hickory to get the heat pumping.
I've already got half my porch loaded, so I've got the rest to do before
dark, and that means about 15 minutes from now...time to work..

Bev

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Worse, the porch only had whole logs out
there from where I loaded it last week. So, in the 11 degree cold,
I went out with the ax and busted the split wood loose from the
pile and brought it in. Luckily, they thawed quickly and are
burning now, but it is still cold...

We have the "good wood" and the "bad wood". Some of the "bad wood" is
a little wet, and some of it is rotten. It's OK when I don't need a
lot of heat, but when it's really cold, I have to bring the "good
wood" up from the shed. It makes a major difference in how much heat
I get out of the stove.

Lynn Wigglesworth Tioga Co. PA