homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:50:04 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:

Poplar is like that. It's esy to split, but when you lift a piece of
cured poplar and a piece of jsut about anything else, you know why it
burns cool. There's not much to it.I see why pioneers made canoes of
it. It is good for spring/fall fires when you don't need so much heat.

Ron made our woodstrip canoe of poplar. It has a similar density to cedar so it works well as a canoe. It is also less expensive than cedar and readily available in the woods here if you can mill it yourself.

Poplar also makes fairly nice lightweight furniture for small chests and cabinets and such, if you like lighter colored woods.

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men
asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive
at their destination.