homestead - [Homestead] Chicken Curry

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken Curry
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:55:43 -0800 (PST)

I read thru the posts something about curry being good ....

Here's my Chicken Curry recipe.

You can make it as hot or mild as you like.

CHICKEN CURRY

4-6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Butter or Olive Oil
Minced Garlic (to taste)
Chopped Onion (1 med)
Chopped Green Pepper (about 1/3 of a pepper)
Curry Power (generous)
Garam Masala (spice department-McCormicks)
Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
Plain Yougurt (1 small container)
Chicken Boullion Cube (1)
Heavy Whipping Cream (1 small)
White or Red Raisins (I like red better)
Shredded Coconut
Sliced Almonds

In a large heavy skillet, over medium heat, melt approximately 1 to 1 ½
tablespoons of butter (or olive oil).  Sprinkle approximately ½ - 1 teaspoon
of minced garlic.

Pinch very small amounts of Cayenne Pepper between fingertips and sprinkle
very tiny amounts on each chicken breast on one side only.  Coat both sides
of each chicken breast with Curry Powder (almost until you can not see the
chicken).  When butter is melted and coats the entire skillet, place chicken
breasts in the pan and cover.  Cook approximately 3 minutes, then turn and
cook the other side.  If all breasts do not fit in the pan, remove the
semi-cooked breasts and cook the rest of the breasts in the pan.  Lightly
sprinkle Garam Masala on both sides of chicken breasts (more can be added to
taste).  Add ½ small chopped onion and a small amount of chopped green pepper
to the liquid in the pan.   Return all breasts to the pan and cover.
Continue cooking over medium to medium low heat.

Microwave ¾ cup of water with a chicken bullion cube.  Use to thin yougurt
sauce below.

Add approximately 1 cup of plain yougurt to the pan and mix in between
chicken breasts.  Use more yougurt if needed if you like a lot of sauce to
spoon overe rice.  Add about 1/3 of the boullion.
Add approximately 4 ounces of heavy whipping cream to sauce and stir in to
thicken.

Sprinkle raisins, coconut and almonds into the sauce. (about a handful or so
of each).

Cover and continue cooking, checking for thickness of sauce.  Dilute if
needed with boullion.  Thicken as needed with additional cream.

(Alternatively, you can transfer all to a pyrex disk and finish baking in the
oven, bake covered at 375 for 20-30 minutes, spooning and stirring sauce as
needed.)

Serve over white rice, or rice pilaf -- spoon lots of sauce over the rice.

(Note:  you can keep the chicken breasts whole, or slice into small pieces)

On a trip to Norway to visit family, my sister and I had a lay over in
London.  We stopped in a local East Indian resturant.  Not knowing what to
order, and being the only customers in the resturant, they offered to bring
out a smorgasbord of things to try, to which we agreed.  One item was Chicken
Curry.  It was delicious and I asked the chef what was in it.  Basically, the
above.  He had pureed all the ingredients, but I like the raisins, coconut
and almonds the way they are, as it gives a wonderful "texture" to the meal.
I also prefer slicing the chicken into smaller pieces.

Don't get the Thai type curry.  This curry is a yellow powder in the spice
department.  The dish is very "yellow" when cooked up.

Sometimes I have forgotten to buy the cream - it is just as good with just
plain yougurt.