homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:58:08 -0500

> One year a neighbor gave us a bunch of willow (they were all large
> trees) that we burned in the boiler. I don't know which burns cooler,
> willow or elm.

Poplar is like that. It's esy to split, but when you lift a piece of
cured poplar and a piece of jsut about anything else, you know why it
burns cool. There's not much to it.I see why pioneers made canoes of
it. It is good for spring/fall fires when you don't need so much heat.

I've got a big, big poplar double poplar tree near my animal shed that
is sick. Bark problem that I noticed last year and is much worse now.
I'm probably going to cut it out next year.

Rob - Va