homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:48:31 -0800

We are lucky in more than one way with our wood situation (we have lots of trees to choose from, lots of dead and dying in the forests around us which are available to take) but we discovered that Gray Pine burn like oak and no one wants Gray Pine! They give it away! O.K., so it is a PITA to split but boy does it burn nice and hot!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

I found out this year, this cold spell, that there is indeed a huge difference between good wood and last resort wood. Right now, all of our wood is rotten, old, and damp, and it is very difficult getting enough heat from the burner with that old wood. Chalk this experience up to a learning homesteading type of lesson, one I do not want to repeat.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)