homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:25:09 +0000

No, no precip of any sort right now, just very cold. it was 3* and windy when
I fed this morning. The water lines all froze last night, and I couldn't
scrounge up enough ice to melt for the horses, and the little pond by the
stall is frozen solid (tried to bust it with a shovel, no luck), so I turned
them out to get water for themselves down by the creek. I like to keep them
in the paddock by the house when the weather is like this so I don't have to
be out in it looking for them if they don't come up for hay in the eve or
morn. I'm hoping our water tank just ran dry because we left the water
running at a pretty good drip to keep it from freezing. At least then the
pipes won't break. But no water in this weather is bad when you've got dogs
and chickens and cats who can't melt their own ice to drink. Well, the dogs
will go down with the horses to the creek. But the cats and chickens still
need someone to provide it to them.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)