homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:09:34 EST

> > Right now, all of our wood is rotten, old, and damp, and it is very
> difficult getting enough heat from the burner with that old wood. Chalk
> this
> experience up to a learning homesteading type of lesson, one I do not want
> repeat.

We're blessed with good quality hardwood this winter (thanks largely to the
fact that the drought killed so many elderly trees) but many times we've
found
ourselves with a lot of the sort of marginal wood of which you speak.

We are on the edge of coal country here and so coal is pletiful, easily had,
and cheap. We keep a few sacks of coal and when we need or want to burn some
of that iffy, damp wood, we put a few lumps of coal under it and it all
burns
quite well.

Good firewood and burning marginal wood using coal is my paradigm of two
proposals for homesteading: One is to economic self containment of the
esentials
(good, dry, hardwood), the other is to keep the homestead going by continuous
infustions of cash (the damp wood kept ingited by the coal).

James