homestead - [Homestead] more on gold backwardation

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] more on gold backwardation
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 05:24:19 -0800 (PST)

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Turk/turk_dec122008.html

Includes history on the 3 times gold has been in backwardation.

and includes 2 scenarios that may be responsible:

First:

"But central banks of course exert a dominant influence on the market for
LBMA-sized bars by using their existing gold stocks, and they can keep the
spot price for gold (which is determined by the buying/selling of LBMA-sized
bars) artificially low by dishoarding  gold from their vaults.

"So my thought is that if gold does not climb back above at least $900
quickly, a shortage of LBMA-sized bars will develop unless central banks
allow their vaults to be cleaned out, much like Ft. Knox was drained in the
weeks leading up to the 2-tiered London gold price created in March 1968.”

"The 3-day backwardation in November indicates that a shortage of LBMA bars
seems to be developing. The implication is that the gold cartel is about to
lose its grip on the gold market, and can no longer cap the gold price at
current levels"

and

"The second possible answer is more ominous. If gold does trade in
backwardation against US dollar for a protracted period (again, barring a
very short-term and ephemeral event like the first two instances noted above
in which a temporary demand for physical gold disrupts normal market
activity), it will mean that a collapse of the dollar has begun. "

As a followup to last weeks conversation about the value of gold, James Turk
makes this observation:

"Gold is money.  In other words, gold’s usefulness does not arise from its
consumption, but rather, from its accumulation. In contrast to all other
commodities, gold does not get used up and consumed in its applications.
Rather, gold is hoarded, or as I like to say it because it is money, gold is
saved."

(other commodities are consumed)

The author, James Turk, predicted in Aug gold would go into backwardation.

If the US dollar is in the early phase of collapsing, this will affect all of
us in the form of hyperinflation.  It makes it all the more important to
stock up, IMO.