homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:15:31 -0800 (PST)

While I was doing cardio, of course he was working with other clients, so I
got to see what he did with a variety of other people.  It was a combination
of generic + custom.  He worked with all kinds of people, including,
professional sports players, the very elderly to the young, and worked with
quite a few people who were missing limbs (legs, arms, etc.)  He kept a diary
on each of us, and had a plan that he followed.

On the high reps, I believe that could rip muscle fibers and then as the
muscles repaired over the next few days there would be an increase in muscle
mass.  This is something I didn't want, as I already have naturally man-sized
muscles.  But he did do this occassionally, and thinking back, it was likely
to bust me thru a plateau, as my body is very sneaky and smart about holding
on for the coming famine days.... LOL.  Even with more calories burned than
calories consumed (not for extended periods of time, but shorter term
plateaus).    Sometimes those high rep days were also with some pretty heavy
weights.  I never did ask him what the rational was behind it.  He commanded,
I obeyed.  For all I know, he might have just wanted to torture me for
disagreeing with him on a political matter... LOL... we had some pretty
lively debates.... or maybe he figured he'd try to get me to stop talking...
LOL.

This PT was one of those Mr. XXX title holding body builders, so he was
geared to paying attention to developing strength in all muscles in the most
efficient manner.  There was a female trainer there also; she used lighter
weights and more reps.  I can't say I ever saw any improvement in her clients
- but I do not know what each individuals' goals were either.

It is likely good for women's bones to add more weight gradually, as I
suspect bone increases in density based on the stress levels.  I suspect that
because the astronauts lose bone density while in space.... no stress on
their bones in weightless conditions.

Once I was fit all over, I didn't get injuries or get sore.  Maybe the
balance of muscles was the reason..... except for one time and one time
only.... which took me out of the gym for several years.  My calves were very
strong, and I could easily move 800# with my calf muscles (and you would
never have known it).  But I always wore gym shoes.  One day I went to
downtown Miami by train, and then in high heels, walked some 10 blocks -
somehow I managed a major calf injury.  Never tripped in the heels, so have
no idea how it happened - only the pain after.  I had a repeat of this injury
earlier this year, on top of another injury - so crutches have been my friend
on/off for about 4 months this year.