homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:35:21 -0500

Oh boy.

Not knowing how severe your RA is, it would be hard to say. As a general
rule, doing weight training correctly also improves your flexibility, or at
least keeps it. Pain from the arthritis becomes an issue, and that depends on
personal tolerance. Years ago, I did work with several ladies with arthritis,
and we did weight training (with very light weights, I might add) in a pool.
We were able to work extensively on proper form, without excessive stress on
joints. "course, it did require a bit of specialized equipment, but seemed to
help them.

I would give you,  just opinion, as my certification is no longer valid, no
restrictions other than those imposed by your own pain tolerance, PROVIDED
you do any exercises with perfect form, to minimize any types of injury.  For
that purpose, a professional trainer would be ideal. Learn the techniques
correctly, then fire him <g> As always, consult your physician first, before
starting any program. yep, I know, the warning...

Ray