homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:01:05 -0500

Howdy,

I've been following your discussion, and it is typical of what I have seen
and heard over the years.

I was for years a certified weight training instructor, and have deveolped
routines for many people over the years. I am not a "body-builder" myself,
although for a time, was in that mindset, but have seen many injuries caused
by people who were, and those who wanted to be.

First of all, the huge muscles so many appear to be afraid of are largely a
matter of genetics, and/or drugs. Most people simply cannot get that big, no
matter how hard they work. If you are one of the ones blessed with the
genetics, and still don't want the muscles, you simply lay off the weights,
and focus purely on aerobic exercise.

All the rest becomes a debate between efficiency, and more drawn out exercise.

Couple of firm rules, no matter what exercises you do, or how many reps.

1. Always work both sides of a joint. This will reduce the possibility of
injuries, since the strength of both sides of a joint is in balance.?
Example: arm curls, tricep extension; sit-ups, rows; leg curls, leg
extensions.
2. Never, ever, go fast. 2-4 seconds to lift a weight, 4-8 seconds to lower
the weight. Throwing weights around causes nasty injuries. I vividly remember
a big bruiser of a boy in college, who exploded into a bench press, and
ripped his left pec muscle right off his sternum. I've never since heard
anyone scream like that. Go slow. If you lift slowly, you will never be able
to lift more than your body can take.
3. Allow 48-72 hours between lifting days, for recovery. For most people, the
need to alternate between upper body one day, and lower body another, is
bunk. That is necessary for truly large people, who are breaking down large
amounts of muscle tissue. Like bodybuilders. Big ones. The rest of us don't
need it. Work your whole body, three days a week. Aerobic exercise on the off
days is fine.

Personally, I go for Very High intensity exercise, three days a week. I am in
and out in an hour or less. But, that hour is painful.? I do 13-15
exercises,?one set of reps, to FULL exhaustion. I also try to have a partner.
If I don't, I use machines, and it is harder to go to full exhaustion.

People who do multiple sets of exercises are wasting a lot of time, and are
not reaching the efficiency of one set, done correctly.

However, it is still good exercise. And, since they aren't paying me for my
opinion, I smile, and keep my mouth shut, unless I see gross safety risks in
what they are doing.

I agree with James, though. In most cases, good hard labor will create
fitness and muscle growth. However, most of us don't do enough of that.

Ray