homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:22:58 -0500

> The worst case outcome? Saved some money buying seeds.........and from
> what you write, improved veggie flavors... Wait, and that is the worst -
> sounds like the best!

First year here, I grew Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes (among
others). They are both big, ugly tomatoes. The kind with cracks and
green shoulders. Some lobes are bigger than others making them
lopsided.

People went crazy for them once they tasted them. They just taste
good. I gave bushels of tomatoes away and canned enough for two years
for two households.

Granted, that was a good year for tomatoes. Now other things, I'm
still trying to find a variety that I like and does well here. A few
things, I'd never try to grow in my climate unless it was a hybrid.

Rob - Va