homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:06:43 -0500

Lynda wrote:
Start with doorway pushups. They build arm strength. O.K., so to answer your question, "what the heck are doorway pushups?" <g> Open a door. Start by stnding about 6-12" outside the door. Place your hands at shoulder level on each side of the door and "lower" yourself through the doorway as though to do a pushup. Then push yourself back up. Now, this will do two things. 1) builds upper body strength and 2) stretches the achilles tendon and calf muscles. Start with 5 and build your way up.

I do that on the coutertops...lol I can do a few pushups that way.

Now, if you do free weights (curls, palm up and curls, fist down; shrugs, lifts [kinda like you are doing snow angels while stand up <g>], and the above your head and then down behind your back thingy) and the doorway pushups, won't be long before you can do *real* pushups! Get a barbell (they weigh about 25 pounds) and do lifts. As you get better, add weights to it. Those are often on Freecycle.

We have some free weights..the kid stores his stuff here.

For the pull-ups, again with the doorway thing. Get a bar that isn't stationary and that you can move. Put it low, lay on the floor and do upper body pull-ups to start. Also, if you can round up a

I haven't done that. That sounds like a good idea.

As to your DH, get him a Weider. He can do rowing, leg lifts, butterflies, and lifts. You can do the rowing (again, adds to the upper body strength).

So does canoeing, and we have two of them, but it hasn't helped me do pull ups...I guess we aren't doing it frequently enough or enough reps or something.

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda