homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:03:44 -0800

Freecycle! Ask for yoga tapes. Ask for beginning ballet tapes. People go
out and buy all this fitness "stuff" and then they never use it! It is
sitting and gathering dust.

I strongly recommend ballet and my second fav is yoga. I did ballet as a
kid and the muscle memory thing is amazing. I could still do full splits
and sideways splits when I was in my 40s. I can still do barre exercises
and Fifth Position!

Now, that might not sound like much unless you take into account that I went
off a cliff when I was 10 and did some major damage to my back and then went
arse over tea kettle in '85 and cracked my c-spine (o.k., so I didn't listen
when "they" said not to go scooting backwards with a chair on wheels. my
own fault. bad Lynda). Did a final number on the back in '95 with a slip
and fall (gotta love those clear thingys they put in men's formal dress
shirts to make the collar stand up in the package).

I still do ballet exercises and some yoga. I'm supposed to be totally
crippled and living on pain pills but I refuse to give in to the stuff and
the ballet, yoga and taking care of the garden and critters keeps me very
mobile!

When DH was diagnosed with cancer, I set him up with an exercise program.
Bought him one of those Weider weight machines. I'll bet you could probably
get one of those off Freecycle too. They are great because you can adjust
them for multiple folks to use them. DH was still looking for the burgers,
etc. when this happened. He came over to the Dark Side (me and the organics
<g>) and took up the weights and moved out here with lots of fresh air and
stuff to do and he's 10 years cancer free. He didn't do what the docs
wanted and the one actually sent him a nasty letter saying that he would be
back within 3 years and dead in 5. The other wrote him up and our method in
a medical journal.

So, ballet, yoga and a weight machine PLUS all the outdoor stuff you can do,
rain or shine!

Part of my New Years Resolution is to become more physically fit. We
bought bicycles last summer and as soon as the weather warms in Spring,
we will resume riding, but for now we are parked. We ride
bikes(stationary inside and the normal bikes outside) for cardio and to
burn calories to reduce fat. Our goal for 2009 is to not only lose 50
pounds, but to become super fit. We want to work on stretching,
flexibility and weight training. Do any of you know any sites online
(that is not selling something) that will help me plan an exercise
routine with a long term goal in mind?

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda