homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:27:02 -0800

Start with doorway pushups. They build arm strength. O.K., so to answer your question, "what the heck are doorway pushups?" <g> Open a door. Start by stnding about 6-12" outside the door. Place your hands at shoulder level on each side of the door and "lower" yourself through the doorway as though to do a pushup. Then push yourself back up. Now, this will do two things. 1) builds upper body strength and 2) stretches the achilles tendon and calf muscles. Start with 5 and build your way up.

Now, if you do free weights (curls, palm up and curls, fist down; shrugs, lifts [kinda like you are doing snow angels while stand up <g>], and the above your head and then down behind your back thingy) and the doorway pushups, won't be long before you can do *real* pushups! Get a barbell (they weigh about 25 pounds) and do lifts. As you get better, add weights to it. Those are often on Freecycle.

For the pull-ups, again with the doorway thing. Get a bar that isn't stationary and that you can move. Put it low, lay on the floor and do upper body pull-ups to start. Also, if you can round up a

As to your DH, get him a Weider. He can do rowing, leg lifts, butterflies, and lifts. You can do the rowing (again, adds to the upper body strength).

Done. I have some tai chi tapes, too. I'm not into ballet...sorry. I
am more of a martial arts kinda girl. I planned on doing tai chi in
addition to regular stuff, and the dancing<G>. I have to keep things
low impact, but I have found that skipping(easier than jogging) and
walking backwards is good, too...( wish I could jump rope-that would be
fun)
The thing is, I don't know how much yoga or tai chi I can convince dh to
do...and he hates dancing. He really wants to lift weights, though.

I probably should say that while I say I want to lose 50 pounds, 25 will
do. I am finally under 200 pounds again, under my smoking weight
finally(I weighed 205 a year ago, then up to 235, now back down to 198).
Most charts say that I should weigh between 155 and 175 pounds. I
picked the lower number just to give myself a big goal to shoot for, and
because dh also wants to lose 50 pounds. But if, by this time next
year, I only weigh 175, then I will still feel like superwoman. <g>

I'm never had much arm strength. I can only do two pushups and no
pullups or chin ups. Back in the day, the kid hung a pull up bar in the
barn-it is still there, and I've been trying now for over a month to
pull up on it-every time I walk by it..but no luck. I've tried just
hanging and starting from the up position and letting myself down
slowly, but I am just not strong enough. I really need some
help....maybe in the form of making myself 50 pounds lighter?!?!

I know Lynn? once said that she works out to avoid injury, and that's a
goal for me, too. I can lift feed bags easily enough, and even toss
them a ways when I need to, but in doing that I use my back and legs
more than my arms, I think. My legs are plenty strong, and make up for
what my arms lack.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda