homestead - [Homestead] was Go ld -- feel free to ignore, now Zimbabwe

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] was Go ld -- feel free to ignore, now Zimbabwe
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:03:21 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Again, Bob, your world of myths. There were almost no evictions at gun point in Zimbabwe. It was all done through the courts. Almost to a man the white Zimbabwean farmers gave up their farms peaceably to peaceable court orders to do so.
James, I'm curious. I have friends who grew up in Zimbabwe. They're both white, with a Dutch-but-many-years-in-Africa background in their families, both of which had been in some other African country in the 1800s (sorry, forget where) and in Zimbabwe since about the turn into 1900. Jeanette and Martin married there, and came here, "because things are terrible in Zimbabwe, and getting worse". I think it was around the mid-seventies that I first knew them, and they'd been here a relatively short time before that, I think. For years they'd mention their farming parents, and how increasingly difficult life was for them back in Zimbabwe. Finally, both sets of parents moved, one to New Zealand, one to Australia; I haven't heard anything about the situation since except for general/national news items.

So what I'm wondering, was that a frog-in-hot-water situation, or what? Obviously a lot of folks knew things were "bad", then getting "worse". Were there too few in numbers, or power, or something else, to effect change, or did they just not believe it would come to that? Or what then?

Guess I wasn't paying good attention....

SJ