homestead - [Homestead] Cellars

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cellars
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:26:53 -0700

On Dec 9, 2008, at 1:21 PM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

--- On Tue, 12/9/08, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

I must have missed that when it was originally discussed.
In the South, any cellar is generally referred to as a root
cellar, sometimes as a storm cellar.

In our world it was just a cellar. And the ones I'm familiar with were used primarily for storage of potatos and home canned goods.

A cellar may be under a house or a discrete structure away from the house. In the Ozarks there are concrete storm cellars built by tornado paranoids. If used now, they would be called root cellars. At Heartwood there is a stone-walled/dirt-floored root cellar under a small building I use as a tool room.

A basement is the lowest level of a house partially or fully underground. Many are also used for food storage.