homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Safety

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Safety
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:54:20 -0800

Marie, IF melamine occured naturally in any way that would put it in the food cycle, then I'd accept that "trace" amounts should be allowable. However, what is showing up in food is a waste product from the manufacture of melamine. There is no excuse for it to be in the food supply.

AND, they have no idea just how much or how little is safe for an infant. The kidneys of an infant are not mature. Some are far from mature. Many are marginal. The problem is that melamine doesn't make people "sick." It causes kidney damage, bladder damage, cancer and reproductive organ problems. Some of which won't show up for years.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

>From what I've read since the China melamine poisoning, melamine is
uniquitous, so setting a safe limit is necessary, but banning trace
levels is neither necessary nor possible. The next best option is to
set a level that won't kill babies or make them noticeably sick. That
may not be optimal, but we live in a compromised world.