homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Safety

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Safety
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 09:15:56 -0600

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> Marie, IF melamine occured naturally in any way that would put it in the
> food cycle, then I'd accept that "trace" amounts should be allowable.
> However, what is showing up in food is a waste product from the manufacture
> of melamine. There is no excuse for it to be in the food supply.

By the same token, you could say that there's no excuse for it in the
food supply, but it's there. We live with a polluted food chain. If we
had a zero tolerance for pesticides in food, probably even breast milk
(or maybe especially) would be banned. The melamine in the US food
supply isn't being -- as I understand it, anyway -- added to raise the
tested protein count; it's just another contaminate.

I didn't say that we weren't in deep doo-doo. Just as a sort of stop
gap, it's better to set a standard than not test at all.

Marie