homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Safety

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Safety
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:34:15 -0700

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I'm on the leading edge of the baby boomers, born after WW II. The
first baby boomers were born in 1946. I was born in in '47. I've
heard 1946 - 64 given as the time period, but that would make Obama a
Boomer too, which seems not quite right to me, as his mother was a
child of WW II era parents. Other have said it ends in 1961 or even
sometime in the 1950s. I think you had to have parents who were adults
during WW II to be a Boomer.

Book: The Age Wave, by Ken Dychtwald is often offered as the authority. He says 46 to 64.

Wikipedia says:
Baby boomer is a term used to describe a person who was born during the demographic Post-World War II baby boom(1946-1964) [1][2] , and is also a term used to describe a person who is part of the Baby Boom Generation (controversial birth years, starting as early as 1942, ending as early as 1953, ending as late as 1964). Originally, everyone born during the 1946-1964 boom in births was considered part of the Baby Boom Generation, but over time, many experts have come to believe that two separate cultural generations were born during this period. The most common name used for the younger generation born then is Generation Jones. Many influential experts and publications now use the term Generation Jones, and the victory of Barack Obama, born in 1961, in November 2008 significantly increased the awareness of Generation Jones, with many experts pointing to Obama as the first Generation Jones President.[3] [4][5][6] The most widely-used beginning year for Generation X is 1965, although a small but passionate group of people sometimes argue the minority view that Generation X started as early as 1961.
Following World War II, many countries, such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand experienced an unusual spike in birth rates, a phenomenon commonly referred to as the baby boom.