homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:54:04 -0800

O.K., I'll rephrase that. It is accepted as normal.

They had no words for killing another human with any type of intent. They made it a point to stay away from "those crazy ****" because "harm" would come to them if they were around them when they were being crazy. I'd have to look up and see if there was actually a word for "kill." I only remember Grampa, the uncles, the cousins saying they "caught" whatever, not that they "killed" a deer or elk or salmon or wild turkey or bear or whatever.

Lynda

P.S. I am digging out recipes but youngest has everything in a discombooblated (is that a word, if it is I know I misspelled it) state as she is gearing up for Christmas cookie making. Oh, and a yule log (jelly roll frosted to look like a log).

I promised to dig out my pizza dough recipes for someone else also. I really will get to them. I know you don't want the old "about that much, a handful of that, a shake of this" which is how I actually cook. DH and youngest have followed me around and written the silly things down. I know they are here somewhere <g>

Lynda wrote:
I would say that some of it is genetic and the other is taught. This
thread would be a prime example of it being taught. All but you are
arguing that it is somehow o.k. because that is what humans do.

Excuse me, but I never said warring or violence or aggression was okay,
in fact, I clearly talked about morality and justification, in that
violence to defend oneself is morally justified in our society. After
reading SusanJane's piece, I will allow that not all believe in self
defense or resistance, but I think 99.9% of people on this planet will
resort to violence to protect themselves or their family.

I know that my heritage didn't even have a word for murder until the
invaders came along. Yet the folks up the mountain did. The folks
up the mountain were always fighting with other folks. My people
thought it was crazy, a form of insanity <g> and to this day refer to
the folks up the mountain as "those crazy ****."

Your people may not have had a word for murder, but did they not have a
word for kill? When most people use the word murder, they mean
pre-meditated, but kill doesn't imply that. Perhaps your people had a
word for kill and not murder. Perhaps they had no experience with the
pathological concept of pre-meditation, but they did have experience
with the concept of hunting strategy and killing. Is that the case?
Besides, perhaps your people were correct that pre-meditated murder is
pathological or symptomatic of insanity. (I personally think so)

And by the way, I am anxiously awaiting that English Muffin recipe. :)

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda