homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:55:24 -0500

Thanks for that.
I do think there is hope for us. I think interconnectivity will over
time, make us see that we really are connected to each other, and that
no man is an island unto himself. Each action has a consequence.
Throughout our history we have gone about willy nilly without much
thought about how we interact....we see a river, we dam it so that we
can make electricity for ourselves and have a stable water supply..we
didn't think about those downstream whose lives we have changed.
Perhaps their livelihood depended on the floods or the silt from the
heavy flow of the river, or the salmon that spawned in it. That, too,
IMO, is aggression...we need, we take..
I think, in our history, it is only recently that we can start to see
how our actions affect things. We have seen how teasing and bullying
can become Columbine, or how sanctions can drive a country to war. In
my mind the teasers and the ones who imposed the sanctions are just as
much the evilbadguys as the labeled aggressors.

Gene GeRue wrote:

It might be useful to consider the various conditions that lead to violence, among them hunger, fear, and greed. Our evolutionary
history is replete with examples of violence from these motivators.
In our most successful societies we have pretty much eliminated
hunger. The paranoia expressed here from time to time is proof that
fear still plays a role even among those of intellect who have much
security. And I have high confidence that greed will always be with
us. It may be a necessity for continuing progress in some areas.

Seems to me that violence mostly occurs at both ends of civilization
as we now perceive it, at the hungry beginning and at at the
affluent end, which of course is not an end but a temporary place on
a continuum. In many ways, financial business is barely controlled violence. Were it not for laws, the floors of the world's stock exchanges would likely be littered daily with bodies. _______________________________________________ Homestead list and
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead