homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: william Eggers <wce1482 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:02:18 -0800 (PST)

About Amish.  I guess I will add my 2 cents worth, if anyone cares.  My
great-grandfather was raised Amish in Pennsylvania and when a young man,
floated down the Ohio and Mississippi to New Orleans with a cargo of bear's
grease.  While in New Orleans, he apprenticed to a stone worker.  He went up
the Mississippi on the steamship Fancy.  It blew up at St Louis, Missouri.
He then talked to the next captain and told him to take him as far north as
this gold watch would pay for.  That was all he had left from the first
steamship.  He landed in Burlington, Iowa.  There he worked for a hotel as a
cook.  Radishes were new then and he would take the tops that were cut off
and plant them and raise more radishes.  He eventually bought a farm and went
on the build the courthouse in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and also the first state
capitol building in Iowa City.  This is probably more than anyone wants to
know.