homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:48:07 -0500

My living in Harrisonburg is why I know what little I do about the Amish and
Mennonites. So many different flavors of Mennonites there, from Old Order
to, well, to the Mennonite attorneys my husband worked with who were
indistinguishable from Methodists except for the pacificism. I thought that
since I never saw any "new order" Amish living in mini-mansions and driving
fancy cars, they were the older of the two groups. I was intrigued to find
that Menno Simmons' group came first, and as I recall Menno was from the
Netherlands.

I didn't meet Amish until moving to PA. Once, while we were at the
livestock auction, a young Amish boy wanted to play with my son's toy
tractor. I handed it to him and chatted away for five minutes, wondering
why he didn't say anything. I finally realized he only spoke German. His
dad bought a calf, put the calf in a cardboard box, tied it to his buggy
and rode away.

Cathy