homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:46:25 -0700

On Dec 3, 2008, at 4:55 PM, sjc wrote:

As to Amish/Arizona, there are a few year-round retired sorts and quite
a few winter visitors somewhere called "Sunnyslope", which I admit to
never having tried to look up until now, DeLorme puts it right in
Phoenix, which seems odd but is not impossible. Probably some really
small old housing or trailer park (they can afford and they can get
back/forth on foot), like they go to at Pinecraft, in Sarasota. And a
brother-in-law of mine, Amish from IN, is currently 'north of Phoenix'
this winter building a house for another Amish person, but I don't know
how far north. So there are some, but there will almost never be
significant populations where they cannot follow their farming
traditons, being on the soil and working it are very much a part of them.

This house in which I type is in the Sunnyslope area of Phoenix. It was originally an area to which eastern doctors sent their tubercular patients. About a mile west of here there are some small, humble houses. I believe some of them to be catalog houses. There is also a trailer park a couple miles away.