homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:28:34 -0500

I've been thinking about Bev's 3;30 am post all day. Maybe I'll respond in
the wee hours tonight : )

For what it's worth, the Mennonites were followers of a Dutch fellow, Menno
Simmons. Their group spread to Germany and the US. Later, the Amish
followed some Swiss fellow,something Amman. (He likely came out of
Zwingli's movement) Amman thought that the German plain people were somehow
or another going astray...the way most new religious groups come into being.

More than you wanted to know : ) IIRC, the practice of wearing a beard w/o
mustache came about as reaction against German practice of wearing mustache
w/o beard.

Cathy