homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 18:55:37 -0500

bob ford wrote:
Thjanks again Susan, Iooked up "Old German Baptist Brethren" on Wikipedia. It says they are part of the Anabaptist movement, as are Amish and Mennonites, I searched within the article for "Lediite" but it was not in the article.
Probably won't find it. There are 3 Lediite churches ("church" in this case being one church unit, formed of roughly the number of families who can get together in one spot at one time, by buggy, ~7mph at a trot) in west central IN where I grew up, a few in western Ohio, and some left north of Harrisburg in PA. They are not one of the groups that particularly encourages a lot on interaction with the 'English' (any non-believer, even if he's Chinese and speaks Mandarin), and therefore there's little info available. If there are other, newer groups I haven't heard of them.
It's funny that the Amish community you mentioned was near Harrisonburg.
That is exactly the one I was talking about from so many years ago. I was
seeing a girl at James Madison at the time.
That's a German Baptist group there, the buggy folks. Sharp-edged, very boxy-looking closed buggies, right? Funny, I used to laugh at folks detailing on kind of buggy from another, and here I am doing it....we all age, I guess.... And you were within reach of one of the few Brethren colleges at the time, since 'affiliated with' I think UVA to get it's accreditation. That form of "brethren" would be the Church of the Brethren, more or less the umbrella term, (although opinions vary!!); at any rate, the less conservative group/s.

As to Amish/Arizona, there are a few year-round retired sorts and quite a few winter visitors somewhere called "Sunnyslope", which I admit to never having tried to look up until now, DeLorme puts it right in Phoenix, which seems odd but is not impossible. Probably some really small old housing or trailer park (they can afford and they can get back/forth on foot), like they go to at Pinecraft, in Sarasota. And a brother-in-law of mine, Amish from IN, is currently 'north of Phoenix' this winter building a house for another Amish person, but I don't know how far north. So there are some, but there will almost never be significant populations where they cannot follow their farming traditons, being on the soil and working it are very much a part of them.
Try to stay warm up there in Snowy Maine. I haven't even put on a shirt today.
It was cool before daylight this am, but it's somewhere between 75 & 80
Just counted. One wool longsleeve underwear, a t-shirt, a cashmere vest from
SA, and 2 shirts over that, and a really nice fire downstairs, where I may go
soon to get warmed up.....

News just said Odetta died.

SJ