homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:14:29 -0500

> > Where in history has a major civilization existed without war? Every
> > large culture, religion, etc, has war as a part of their history. Sure
> > some of the monor players existed without peforming, themselves, in acts
> > of war; some still do today. But, never when a culture has power does it
> > give away that power without fighting. It really is part of our biology,
> > I think (and it also makes common sense).......................>
I think we are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about
"giving away power"...I assume you mean defending one's borders. Most
countries and individuals will defend themselves if attacked. I was talking
about wars of aggression...invading or taking someone else's land or wealth
or enslaving the people.

The fact that there are people, cultures and religions (I don't ever recall
the Buddhists going to war) that DON'T, and have no desire to, engage in
aggression against others demostrates that it is not universally part of our
biology. Some of us don't covet our neighbor's stuff and don't have that 'war
gene'.

Lynn Wigglesworth